Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How to battle VampireStat, ZombieStat, and all those awful things

5-4-13 RE-EDIT: YES I KNOW THIS DOESN'T WORK. PLEASE STOP COMMENTING THAT IT DOESN'T WORK, CAUSE I KNOW. (,╯︵╰,)  THAT IS WHAT THE EDIT AND BIG BOLD LETTERS IS FOR.  

NEW PEOPLE JUST COMING ACROSS THIS BLOG, PLEASE JUST CONTINUE ON YOUR MERRY JOURNEY ACROSS THE INTERNETS. ♡ Or read my blog about random crap yay! 

Apparently some bots (like the icky ZombieStat and VampireStat and all them) are internet spiders that are able to ignore the robots.txt if they so wish. So there is pretty much no way to avoid them on Blogger. 

I'm gonna turn off comments for this post now. 

EDIT: This doesn't really seem to work.  I still get spam blog views. :/ Maybe because I already clicked one of the sites once. Oh well. I'll leave this up anyway in case it can help anyway.  

So the only reason I have 6k views to this blog is because of these awful spam blog view generators. EW. I though I was internet famous or something...HAH not really. But apparently clicking on those sites to see what they are is really bad.  I've clicked on these sites hundred of times and as far as I know, nothing has happened. But still, I don't want them coming to my blogs anymore! So I asked the internet how to fix this.

There is a thing called a "robots.txt" which you can upload to your site.  Bots are supposed to check a site for one of these and if it is present and says that particular bot is not allowed, it can't look at your site. This site explains it much better than I do.  There are lots of places online that will tell you how to write a robots.txt file too.

But there really aren't any concrete examples of a robots.txt that blocks these yucky spam sites.  So I wrote one up and uploaded it under the Blogger "Settings" tab, and then checked it with this site. And it says that it works! YAY!! So hopefully, I won't have any more stupid spam bots visiting my blogs. I really wish Blogger would let me reset my pageviews now...but noooo. Oh well. :<

Here is the text from the robots.txt that I uploaded, in case I forgot/someone wants to use it:


User-agent: http://adsensewatchdog.com 
Disallow: /

User-agent: http://vampirestat.com

Disallow: /

User-agent: http://www.probtheme.com/

Disallow: /

User-agent: http://www.uglystat.com

Disallow: /

User-agent: http://zombiestat.com

Disallow: /

User-agent: http://www.villainstat.com

Disallow: /

7 comments:

  1. thanx a lot.

    none of the other sites i visited on this came to that obvious hint ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it will work for you. I am still getting lots of zombie hits on this blog even with the robots.txt, but they seem to be from different sites than the ones I put in the file. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I was trying to find a way to block them also; the Robot Checker also came in handy. Now if I can just stop the random spam comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I will try this on my blog. Hopefully it shuts them down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the suggestion. I tried to implement this, but I'm afraid that it doesn't work. The filthy parasites keep linking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, same result here. My blog still gets tons of hits from them. It seemed to work for a day or two but then they reappeared in full force. I even used the robots.txt checker that the poster provided. Oh well. I guess there is no way to stop this.

      Delete
  6. This will never work because the spider bot always chooses to obey or not the robots.txt file. In this case i'm sure the vampirestat spider never obey the rule.
    Check My Blog
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete